Orange County Catholic, now the largest weekly Catholic newspaper in the country with a circulation of 75,000, collected several honors last week at the Catholic Press Awards, a highlight of the Catholic Media Conference, an annual convention hosted by the Catholic Press Association. The convention was held at the Hyatt Regency in Buffalo, NY June 24-27.
Executive Editor Ryan Lilyengren and Editor Patrick Mott were on hand to receive awards on behalf of Bishop Kevin W. Vann, publisher of Orange County Catholic.
The Orange County Catholic staff includes Managing Editor Caitlin Adams, Photographer Challenge Roddie and features a talented team of freelance writers in each issue.
The newspaper, which is distributed to all Catholic parishes, faith centers, Catholic schools in Orange County and subscribers to the OC Register, was honored in the following categories.
1. Best use of art or graphics: best original illustration / Honorable Mention
2. Best sports journalism: Sports feature / Third Place
3. Best regular column: family life / Third Place
4. Best headline / Second Place
5. Best use of art of graphics / Second Place