Editor’s Note: This is the latest in an irregular series of profiles of religious communities that live and minister in the Diocese of Orange. The profiles are compiled by Sister Eymard Flood, O.S.C., the Vicar for Consecrated Life for the Diocese of Orange.
Year Founded: 1876
Country of Foundation: USA
Charism: To praise, to bless and to preach. Preaching the mission of Saint Dominic to the young, poor and vulnerable under the guidance of the Dominican Four Pillars: prayer, study, community and service (ministry).
Apostolic Works: Education, including two schools of music; administration; arch/diocesan ministry; parish ministry; nursing; prison ministry; hospital chaplaincy; social work; peace and justice; vocation ministry.
Represented in the Following Countries: USA and Mexico.
Name of Contact Person in the USA: Sister Jane Rudolph, O.P. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (714) 772-1363.
Brief History: The Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose branched from Brooklyn, N.Y. In 1876 Maria Pia Backes, O.P. and two younger sisters were sent to teach German-speaking children in San Francisco. Mother Pia knew the importance of Catholic education. She founded St. Catherine’s Academy in Anaheim on March 19, 1889. Celebrating 125 years, St. Catherine’s has 11 sisters involved in administration, teaching, nursing, residential life, diocesan and vocations ministries.
Answering another appeal, the sisters were missioned to Mexico in 1909. Christ Cathedral Academy, an affiliate school stemming from the former St. Callistus parish, also was founded by the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose. The congregation continues the preaching mission of Saint Dominic to the young, poor and vulnerable in education and in other varied ministries throughout California, Arizona, Missouri and Mexico.